The International Group aims to raise awareness and support individuals and organisations working to end poverty and to promote equality and justice.
This is achieved by:
- Supporting major aid charities including Christian Aid, Us, Oxfam and Practical Action.
For example, money was raised for Christian Aid through street collections, sponsorship, shared meals, selling home produce and carol singing.
- Assisting projects where a personal link has developed with overseas visitors attending St Mark’s or by congregation members visiting another country.
Currently, from August ’15-August ’16, one member of the congregation, Ceri Gallivan, is working in a community hospital in Bwindi, in Southern Uganda. You can follow Ceri’s blog through this link.
Other international projects with links to the congregation currently include Iona House, (through Mary’s meals), SuCCol (Support for Children in Columbia), Goodwill Children’s villages in India, Sakhelwe Trust, Bethany leprosy colony, Literacy for Life in Ghana and Voluntary Service Overseas .
- Raising awareness and supporting campaigns run by Amnesty International, Christian Aid and the World Development Movement.
- Supporting educational projects working to raise awareness locally and abroad such as South Yorkshire Developmment Education Centre and Health, Poverty, Action.
- Ad hoc appeals for campaigns initiated by the Disaster Emergency Committee or organisations such as Medical Aid in Palestine.
Support is given through prayer, donations or fundraising, and action is taken in the form of volunteering time, gifts or skills.
Are you from abroad and wanting to meet other Christians?
Are you wanting to make friends with Christians from other countries?
Are you a student? Or an older person? Or here with your family?
Everyone is welcome to the launch of the new International Fellowship at a bring-and-share picnic on St Mark’s Green on Friday, June 3rd 2016 at 7pm (in the church lounge if weather is bad) followed by treasure hunt/ quiz/ games
The International Fellowship will then meet on the first Friday evening each month at 7pm in the church lounge.
If you would like to help us, are seeking further information or to suggest a project for the International Group to consider, please get in touch with Alison Tolson or Shan Rush on: 07598 156817 or by email: email@example.com. We review our giving annually in November.