St Mark’s Church, Broomhill, is distinctive both for its outstanding modern architecture and for its thoughtful, liberal approach to questions of faith.
It was founded in 1859 as an Iron Church to serve the expanding Sheffield suburb of Broomhill. In 1871, this was replaced by a fine stone neo-Gothic building designed by W H Crossland. St Mark’s became a large, active and well known church.
In December 1940, the Church was struck by an incendiary bomb. Only the tower and spire survived. For 23 years, services were held in the Church Hall. Eventually, the distinguished architect, George Pace, designed a new St Mark’s which was consecrated in September 1963. Since then, the church has progressed in many ways, including improvements to the building, strengthened links with the local community through the Broomhill Festival and the creation of the St Mark’s Centre for Radical Christianity in 2003. When St Silas, Broomhall, closed in 2000, much of Broomhall was added to St Mark’s parish.
‘A History of St Mark’s: Church Life in Broomhill and Broomhall, Sheffield,’ edited by David Price, was launched on 27 September 2013 to mark the 50th anniversary of the outstanding church building by the great church architect, George Pace. The book traces church life at St Mark’s from its Victorian beginnings – the original iron church, the stone church and its destruction by incendiary bombs in 1940, the ‘exploratory pioneering approach to Christianity’ developed in the 1960s, St Mark’s’ influential role in the movement for the ordination of women in the 1990s and more recently its conferences on ‘radical Christianity’ which attract people from far and wide. It tells the story of a church with a national profile that follows ‘a this-worldly Jesus, with a message and way of life for here and now’.
The book was written almost entirely by members of the present congregation and contains over 100 illustrations.
The Chapters of the book are:
If you would like to order a copy (cost: £10: postage £1.50), please print out and use the order form below. (Enquiries to 0114 266 3613)