St Mark’s church is located between Broomfield Road and Glossop Road, and between the Rutland Hotel and the Royal Hallamshire Hospital. The full address of St Mark’s is:
The following directions may be helpful:
From the M1:
- Leave the M1 at junction 33 (A630 exit to Sheffield(Centre)/Rotherham). At the roundabout, take the exit onto A630 heading to Sheffield / Catcliffe / B6533.
- The road becomes the A57 / Sheffield Parkway after about 3 miles.
- As you approach the city centre, filter right onto the A61 (north) / City Ring Road / Derek Dooley Way signed for Barnsley. Continue to follow the A61 for about 5 minutes through several sets of traffic lights through the city centre.
- At the next roundabout, take the 1st exit up the hill on the A61 (south) / Hoyle Street.
- At the roundabout at the top of the hill, take the 3rd exit onto the A57 / Brook Hill, signed for the University, Hospitals and Glossop.
- Stay in the left-hand lane past the Student’s Union building and filter left onto Clarkson St, just in front of the Sheffield Children’s Hospital.
- At the next set of traffic lights, filter right onto Glossop Road. Stay right past the front of the Royal Hallamshire Hospital.
- Just past the hospital, turn right onto Beech Hill Road, as if turning into the hospital. The church can be found on the left after a set of flats.
Parking on the streets around the church is mostly ‘pay and display’ or ‘residents only parking’ so the use of public transport is encouraged during week-days. Or leave plenty of time to find somewhere to park. Near to the hospital, places typically have a four hour time limit. You can park for free for 15 minutes, simply press the yellow button on the parking meters. Otherwise the cost is currently 40p per hour. There are also pay and display car parks on the top of the main Broomhill shopping centre, on Whitham Road (close to Parkers Lane), and on Spooner Road (off Crookes Road). Parking is also available in the Royal Hallamshire Hospital multi storey carpark (open 6.30am to 10.30pm, priced £2.40 for 2 hours to £8 for all day parking) http://www.sth.nhs.uk/our-hospitals/royal-hallamshire-hospital/how-to-get-here. Both the Hospital and Broomhill shopping centre are within a 5-10 minutes walk of the church.
If you are coming to Sheffield by train you can catch a bus or a tram to St Mark’s.
The church is a five minute walk from the University tram stop.
- Trams can be caught from the railway station or from the city centre by the Cathedral. Trams destined for Malin Bridge (blue route) and Middlewood (yellow route) go via the University. The journey is around ten minutes.
- From the Univsersity / Western Bank tram stop, walk along Glossop Road, past the HSBC bank and the ‘Harleys’ pub.
- Continue on this road as it bears left and go past a car park for the University and the ‘West End’ pub.
- Soon you will pass the front of the Royal Hallamshire Hospital. Just past the hospital, turn right onto Beech Hill Road, as if turning into the hospital. The church can be found on the left after a set of flats.
Several buses run from the city centre to the Royal Hallamshire Hospital; the church is just up the hill from the hospital bus stop. The bus interchange and city centre bus stops are close to the railway station. The following buses run regularly past the hospital:
- 120 (towards Fulwood) – from Commercial St., just down from Jessops; or High St., outside HMV.
- 30 (towards Dore) – from Commercial St. or High St.
- 123 (towards Endcliffe) – from Commercial St. or High St.
- The 10, 10A, H1, S6A and 505 also run to the hospital from other parts of Sheffield.
From the railway station main entrance, the bus interchange is across the road and towards the right, at the end of the covered walkway. Commercial St. and High St. can be reached by walking through the interchange, turning right and walking along Flat St. to Fitzalan Sq.: Commercial St. is to the right and High St. to the left.
Bus timetables and a journey planner are available at: http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com